Monday, July 21, 2008

My take on the Pickens Plan

The previous two posts are about a plan to lower our use of foreign oil. I am so excited about it. It could really work!! T Boone Pickens has a great idea to develop wind to replace natural gas used to make electricity, and in turn use the natural gas to fuel more cars. This would save us $700 billion spent on foreign oil in ONE YEAR! That is amazing. He is also pushing for the real development of all alternative energy sources. This is exciting to me, though I am absolutely repulsed by the development of nuclear energy. That is the one thing I disagree with in his plan. But, since this is the first effort anyone is making to actually move forward rationally at all in our energy policies, I am enthusiastic. I couldn't be more delighted, actually.
I hope anyone who reads about this will look into the matter for themselves. I think the rationale is self-evident. Please, lets do our part to have righteous dominion over our earth, our home.

2 comments:

Mike Farmer said...

Nice post. Why are you opposed to nuclear energy?

Anji Coman said...

Hey Mike, great to hear from you.
I am opposed to nuclear energy because it is so dangerous. There hasn't been a problem for a long time, but I just think if we can do things more responsibly, more safely, we should.
For example, if a solar panel cracks, the people and land around it do not die. Or, if a wind turbine falls over, that is it, it just has to be repaired. A bird may be in danger around a wind turbine, but I think even that danger is being addressed by having the turbines turn more slowly.
Nuclear energy might be more profitable for a few people, maybe more efficient, but I think the other options are more responsible, and less damaging, to the earth we have dominion over.

Additionally, I live in Utah, which has become the worlds nuclear dump. I would rather not have any more waste created and then dumped here.